So… the journey to find the perfect dress. I honestly didn’t even know where to start. I thought I had an idea of what I wanted… A-line with tulle-type bottom. I knew I didn’t want to rush into anything… I’m really bad at making decisions when it comes to things like this. I decided I wanted to go and look with my mom and two best friends, knowing I wouldn’t buy that day. My best friend Sarah set up appointments at Classic Bride and Lily Rose in Cornelius, NC, where I live. I really wanted to just try them on and get an idea of what I liked. There are just sooo many beautiful options. We had an amazing day, beginning with lunch and mimosas at Hello Sailor. (I would encourage not drinking/eating a lot before you try on dresses, I felt a little bloating haha.)
We had a lot of fun, and I definitely had a lot of favorites, but I knew I wasn’t ready to buy. So a couple weeks later, Sarah and I decided to just go own our own to New York Bride and Groom. I knew I wasn’t going to purchase that day, because my mom needed to be there. We wanted to go to NYB&G because:
- You don’t have to have an appointment.
- No time limit, you can stay for as long as you want.
- They have lots of bridesmaid dresses.
- Free mimosas, duh.
I was able to try on all kinds of dresses because of the unlimited time. (Most bridal shops will give you an appointment for about an hour or two.) The woman helping me that day was very helpful. Since I literally loved every dress, she helped me think about what I want on my wedding day. I had already booked my venue (Ritchie Hill) and knew the vibe I wanted on that day. Romantic, vintage, southern elegance, classy, timeless. I had to keep this vibe in mind when choosing my dress. This really helped because I love all kinds of wedding trends. I loved tons of Boho dresses, but that didn’t really go with my venue/décor that I was planning. She also talked me into considering a more fitting/tight dress. She said… if you got the body, might as well show it while you still can.
I ended up talking to Daniel as well and asked what he liked… and he said he liked the more fitting, fit and flare, tight dresses. So there I had it, I changed my mind completely on what I thought I wanted.
After that, I set up an appointment with Paige & Elliot in Huntersville, NC which is also close to home for me since they were having a “Pop the balloon sale.” I picked my balloon and ended up getting (15% off) I think. That sale kind of put me the mode of, if I find one I love today, I should buy it because of the discount. I did find a dress I loved. It was the first one I tried on. It was new and on the manacan, they had to take it off for me. It is Martina Liana, and I love it! Of course I don’t have a picture of it below, but stay tuned to see it on May 3rd!
They also gave me Pinot Grigio while I tried my dresses on… so I was a very happy girl. Also, putting on a veil with THE DRESS, really makes it real. I don’t remember if I shed a tear, but I know my best friend Risa and my mom definitely did. J
Wanted to share some tips for wedding dress shopping:
- Do your research beforehand.
- Be open to styles you may not have considered.
- Consider your wedding day vision and the venue.
- Brace yourself for bridal sizing-they are smaller, you will definitely be a larger size then you’re used to.
- Shop early-my dress took 4-5 months to come in, and you also have to account for alterations.
- But not too early, I waited a couple months to start dress shopping. You don’t want to buy one, then end up falling in love with another later on. Styles change and they are continuously creating new amazing dresses.
- Plan on your budget. I told the shops what I was aiming for, and told them not to even show me or let me look at the SUPER expensive ones. You don’t want to fall in love with a $10,000 dress that’s unattainable.
- Make an appointment.
- Take only your favorite people. You don’t want too many opinions. I had my mom and 2 MOHs with me. J
- Have fun! Don’t stress. You’ll look beautiful.
Now that the day has come and passed, I wanted to share photos of my dress! Hope you enjoy. Let me know if you have any questions!